Vegan Tuna Salad Sandwich
We are often asked what we pack for lunch. Portable and easy meals, like the classic tuna salad sandwich, are an essential for folks heading off to school or work for the day. This chickpea vegan tuna salad is an easy, satisfying and delicious vegan alternative to the usual non-vegan sandwich fillers.
Affordable and Long-lasting (much better than tuna!)
Enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans, it is also much more affordable than tuna or chicken salad. A bonus for those “on-the-go” is sandwiches with Better Than Tuna chickpea salad can be unrefrigerated without fears about food born illnesses associated with unrefrigerated meats. Because it has a longer shelf life (in the fridge), it can be available for a weeks worth of lunches if prepared ahead. In our house, it never lasts that long!
This vegan tuna salad has been a go-to meal option in the Full of Beans household for quite a while. We have found that it doesn’t need to be restricted to sandwiches! It is wonderful as a topping for a plate of greens, on a rice cake, or straight out of the container with a fork!
It’s Better Than Tuna
We refer to this recipe as “vegan tuna salad” but we aren’t trying to make a mimic of tunafish salad. Certainly there are ways to accomplish that by adding dulse or playing with the texture of the chickpeas. However, as far as we are concerned this is all around a replacement for the quick and easy, versatile food spot tuna salad occupies for most people. Something for lunches, snacks, on greens etc. Because this is cruelty-free, filled with nutrition, inexpensive, and easily made it is truly Better Than Tuna! We hope that you will agree!
Yummy Vegan Tuna Sandwich, Ready To Eat!
Portable and easy meals, like the classic tuna salad sandwich, are an essential. This chickpea vegan tuna salad is a delicious vegan alternative. Try it!
- (2) 15oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 shredded carrot
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- Just Mayo or alternative vegan mayonaise, approximately 1/4 cup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- optional: extras like mustard, dill, etc
- Roughly mash the chickpeas in a medium size bowl. I like to leave some chunks of the peas in the mash.
- Add the carrot, celery, onion, salt and pepper and mix well with a fork
- Add mayo to desired texture of creaminess (I find tastes really vary in this regard)
- It can be eaten right away, but I find that if it sits in the fridge for an hour or so the flavors meld nicely together. This works for a sandwich and is also wonderful on a bed of greens or with crackers.
- Options: we had a blog reader make this with several additions: dulse, relish, mustard, cayenne. They really loved it and we encourage you to take this recipe and run with it! Make it your own 🙂
- We happen to love adding dill to it, a heaping teaspoon is just about right!
Keywords: vegan tuna, salad, chickpea, non-dairy