Curried Vegan Chicken Salad – It’s What’s For Lunch
Our Vegan Chicken Salad, we like to call it Better Than Curried Chicken Salad, made with cannellini beans, will take your sandwich, or your salad, to a new level, giving you a delicious and cruelty-free way to elevate your lunch. This salad combines the rich tang of curry with sweet raisins, crunchy walnuts and celery, and the great texture of cooked beans. We combine it with our household staple product, Just Mayo (not an affiliate link, we just love it!), to make a tasty filling for a sandwich or a topping on a bed of greens.
What Do We Make For Lunch Today?
This recipe is a great option if you need a new idea for a quick vegan meal. Anyone who has packed lunches, vegan or not, knows it becomes a challenge to come up with ideas that are delicious and portable. During the years my kids were in school, making lunch was the challenge and question we faced every evening (or morning!). There were only so many options and, I confess, we made many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. (I also confess that we still love P,B and J)
Vegan Chicken Salad is for Adults at Work, Too
As a vegan with almost no meal options in the hospital where I work (don’t get me started on how unhealthy hospital food can be), I am always packing meals. While I have access to a microwave, I love having hand food like a sandwich that I can eat almost anywhere. Nurses don’t always get to sit down, after all, so on a busy day, having a wholesome and satisfying option is essential. That’s true for everyone – kids going to school, parents heading to work, or college students on the run. This Curried Vegan Chicken Salad (Better Than Chicken Salad), like our Better Than Tuna, is a perfect choice.
Now we are busy household of working adults, not always on the same schedule. Having readily available quick meal options is essential to affordable healthy eating. After all, it’s vegan living in the real world, with all the challenges and pleasures that come with it.
Mixing the sauce
All the ingredients together – ready to mix
- 1/4 red onion. finely diced
- 3 tsp curry (good quality)
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 5 cups canellini beans
- 1/2 c just mayo
- 2 – 3 T agave syrup
- a few grinds black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (using beans from dry)
- 1/2 c walnut chopped
- 1/2 c raisins
- gently combine all ingredients
- Curry varies tremendously. We have a fairly mild, mellow curry and the amount reflects this. Adjust for your taste and the curry that you are using
- Cannellini beans are quite soft, so they will mash quite readily. If you like more texture chickpeas would work quite well.
- When using beans from dry stock we find that more salt is necessary. Start with half the added salt if you are using beans from cans.