When traveling as a vegan, there are often great vegan finds in funky natural food stores and markets. Recently, visiting family, we found a yummy looking tofu dill salad sandwich at a funky market we stop at often. With the first bite, we both agreed that it could be waaaay better. You know, that moment when you want to pop into the kitchen and say, “Hey, can I make a suggestion?”.
Tofu Dill Salad That’s Full of Flavor
Well, we kept the suggestion to ourselves and proceeded to work on a re-do. The result is this delicious Tofu Dill Salad. It is a great sandwich filler, salad topper, and just really good food. Cool and light, it has enough flavor to stand up to a huge pile of greens or sandwich filler.
Good For You, Too!
The nutritional MVP of this recipe is the tofu! Soy is a healthy food choice. Seriously. If you want to get psyched about including tofu in your diet, read the great article by Joel Kahn, MD, “Why Soy Isn’t As Bad For You As Everyone Says” at mindbodygreen.com. In addition to supporting heart health, soy is preventative for prostate, breast and ovarian cancer. Of course, you want to make sure your source is non GMO and organic. Many soy based products are GMO, so be sure to check. (Omnivores, please note: if you are consuming nonorganic sources of meat, you are ingesting GMO soy products via animal feed.)
Make a People Pleasing Bowl of Tofu Dill Salad!
Since we settled on a version that realized all the potential we were sure was there, we have made this many times. This simple recipe makes a good sized bowl of tofu dill salad that is flavorful equally delicious in a wrap, on greens, with rice crackers, or right on a fork! You will be able to make plenty of sandwiches to please everyone in your home. 🙂
Start with a nice fine chop of fresh red onions and crisp celery
Crumble the firm tofu into good-sized, consistent chunks
Tofu Dill Salad – ready to eat!
- 1 block extra firm tofu, patted dry (I used Wildwood brand)
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 Tbs sesame seeds
- 1/2-3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (start with 1/2 and add to desired consistency)
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs maple syrup or agave
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble tofu in a large bowl. I found that using my hands was the easiest method.
- Mix in the celery, red onion, dill and sesame seeds until evenly distributed in the tofu.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together to create the dressing.
- Toss the dressing with the tofu mixture.
- Add salt, pepper and any additional mayo to taste.
- Chill for 1 hour, allowing the flavors to meld with the tofu.
- Serve and enjoy!