If you’re craving a yummy vegan BBQ sandwich this is a delicious make-it-at-home solution!
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (the choice is up to you. We love Fat Tire brand)
- 1/2 cup water plus
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the barbecue sauce and the water.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and, using a spatula or spoon, combine them well. If the gluten is not readily moistened (depends on the thickness of the barbecue sauce), add an additional Tbs of water.
- Form into a ball and knead in your hands for about 2 minutes. The seitan will become firmer and a little elastic.
- Cut the seitan into desired size pieces (they will expand when cooked) and place in the instant pot.
- Add one cup of water to the seitan.
- Cook for 16 minutes, releasing the pressure seal when done.
- Add additional barbecue sauce as desired for serving.
- For sandwiches, we like to slice the seitan in thin strips (see photo above)
- after cooking in the Instant Pot is done, it works very well to quickly cook the strips in a pan with extra sauce. The seitan absorbs a little more sauce and you gain some warmed sauce to add to your sandwich
- While you can buy some very nice vegan ranch dressing at the market the ranch dressing that we think is AMAZING is from this blog post: https://www.karissasvegankitchen.com/easy-vegan-ranch-dressing/ you will not be sorry that you took the time to make it!
- You can make the seitan in advance and store it in the fridge. Then just use what you need by quickly cooking in a pan with sauce.
- Also, we love the Fat Tire brand BBQ sauce from New Belgium Brewing (the same people who make the beer): https://www.newbelgium.com/shop/new-belgium-bbq-sauces/ You can find it in many markets.
Keywords: BBNQ, Barbecue, sandwiches, seitan, vegan bbq
This Post Has 0 Comments