This nutritious raw vegan kale salad is filled with textures and flavor. From crunchy kale and cabbage, to a full-flavored dressing and chunks of peanuts it is a satisfying dish. It is perfect for a delicious raw meal or a special dish to bring to a get-together.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp agave
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder or 1 small garlic clove, minced (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup tamari
- ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional, to taste)
- 1/4 – 1/2 ripe avocado
- 6 – 8 cups chopped kale (Lacinato or curly or whatever you happen to have/enjoy)
- 1–2 Tbsps chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- Optional: 1 block air-fried tofu (see Crispy Air Fried Tofu https://www.fullofbeans.us/crispy-air-fried-tofu/ )
- Optional: nutritional yeast, vegan parmesan for topping
- whisk all ingredients in a small mixing bowl
- set aside (if you prefer cold dressing, make ahead and chill)
- shred the cabbage and add to the bowl
- chop the chives in small pieces (your preference)
- coarsely chop the peanuts (a mortar and pestle does this surprisingly fast)
- Chop kale in approximately 1″ wide pieces
- Place kale in a large bowl, add the avocado and massage it into the kale. You can omit this step but it adds a richness to the taste and slightly softens the kale
- Add the cabbage, chives, and peanuts to the kale and toss to coat
- Add the tofu (if including)
- pour a small amount (less than 1/2) of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat
- adjust dressing amount to taste
- serve in bowls and sprinkle top with nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan (optional)
We have substituted cashews for peanuts and it was very nice.
This recipe makes plenty of the dressing. We suggest going easy to start and adjust once you have tossed the salad. The dressing is VERY tasty 🙂
The yield (4 servings) is average meal (lunch/dinner) salad size. But tastes and appetites vary, so it may be 6 or 2 very generous and some leftovers.
This is one of those recipes that is extremely flexible. The essentials are kale and the dressing – add what you love (or have on hand) omit something you don’t care for. Experiment, make it your own and enjoy fresh kale!
Keywords: kale, lacinato kale, salad, dinner salad, peanuts, vegan, raw