Smooth, creamy, tasty hummus. You will never buy store hummus again!
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 3 cups chickpeas prepared from dry)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste (you might need more if using chick peas from dry, rather than canned)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Place the tahini and lemon juice in the food processor.
- Process for 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom, then process for 30 seconds. This helps to whip the tahini and makes a difference in the texture.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and the salt.
- Process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom and process another 30 seconds.
- Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute.
- Add remaining chickpeas and process for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and quite smooth.
- If the hummus is too thick, or not smooth enough, slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water, while the food processor is running, until the consistency is perfect.
- This amount of salt is on the low end, adjust it as you get to the end. Remember, you can’t take any out!
- If you make the chickpeas from dry, you may need a little extra water to make it really smooth.
- If you like the tang of lemon, try adding some more. Hummus is flexible 🙂
- Replacing the raw garlic with an entire bulb of roasted garlic is a special treat
- Try adding some avocado (you could use a little less oil to balance) for color and a slightly different texture
Keywords: quick, easy, hummus, chickpeas