This vegan nacho cheese sauce is one of the best vegan cheese alternatives that we have found in the 2 years that we have been experimenting with them. There is no question that recreating the mouth feel and texture of a dairy cheese sauce is difficult, but so many traditional foods and comfort foods incorporate that very experience. It matters.
Melty Vegan Cheese Sauce We Use on Everything
We started using this recipe (found in Vegan Health and Fitness Magazine) for our Black Bean and Veggie Enchiladas and have made it many times since then. We tweaked it and threw in a small can of diced jalapeno peppers for a little extra zing. It is a house favorite, used as a dip for chips, a sandwich spread, a topping for potatoes or beans and rice. Seriously, you will find yourself with a bowl of it in one hand while you look through the fridge for something to dip into it, or spread it on. It has all the gooey, creamy texture you could hope for in a “cheese sauce”. Go ahead. Fool someone with it.
Simple To Prepare
First of all, how easy is it that the main ingredients are carrots and potatoes?! Who knew, right? The ingredient list for this vegan nacho cheese sauce is short, and there are only a few steps (just the way we like it). You simply cook the potatoes and carrots, then everything goes into the blender.FYI: this recipe can be a little tough on a standard household blender, so proceed carefully. We use, and love, our heavy duty Vitamix (affiliate link).
Potatoes and carrots ready to become nacho cheese sauce in the Vitamix
Delicious black bean and veggie enchiladas, topped with the amazing nacho cheese sauce and sour cream. Dig in!
Let’s Make Some Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce! Print
Delicious, smooth, melty, cheese sauce that is completely dairy-free. 100% vegan!
- 2 medium potatoes – scrubbed, peeled, and chopped
- 3 large carrots – scrubbed, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 4 oz can diced jalapeño peppers, drained (optional)
- Steam potatoes and carrots together until soft.
- Blend with remaining ingredients, except peppers, in blender (we LOVE our Vitamix) until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in peppers and enjoy as a sauce or dip for chips.
- adapted from recipe by Dr Brooke Goldner published in Vegan Health and Fitness magazine
- A powerful, high-speed blender such as a Vitamix helps a lot. This requires complete blending of the ingredients.