This delish vegan cornbread and roasted pecan stuffing is a holiday favorite! The texture of cornbread and the nutty crunch of roasted pecans. Yum!
There are a lot of steps in this recipe but, believe me, it’s worth it!
- One recipe of my Best Cornbread Ever
- 4 Tbs Earth Balance vegan butter (we think this is the best available)
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 10–12 oz of mushrooms, sliced (I use baby bella, but use your favorite variety)
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- few grinds of black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup unflavored, unsweetened vegan creamer (I use SO Delicious brand)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- Heat the oven to 400°F. (If you made the cornbread, you are already there)
- Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and place them in the center of the oven and toast until just fragrant. This should take about 5 minutes, but watch them closely. Once out, remove them to a bowl so they don’t continue to cook on the hot pan. Set aside.
- Melt about 2 Tbs of the vegan butter.
- Cut the cornbread into approximately 2 inch x 2 inch pieces.
- Brush the edges with the melted butter and place them cut side down on a baking sheet. (I just brush off the pecan bits and use the one that is already out).
- Toast for about 6-8 minutes. Turn them over and cook for another 6-8 minutes. I just get two sides golden brown and then let them cool on the pan. In you do this ahead, transfer to a sealed container once cooled fully.
- Heat the remaining 2 Tbs of vegan butter in a medium skillet on med-high. Once melted, add the shallots and celery.
- Cook until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms have started to express some liquid or around 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the creamer, blend throughout and cook for another minute and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Crumble the cornbread into a large bowl. I like to leave some good size chunks, but there is no wrong way here.
- Add the mushroom mixture and pecans and gently combine.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish.
- Gently pour the vegetable stock evenly over the stuffing.
- Reduce oven temp to 375°F, cover and cook for about 30 minutes. If you like your stuffing to be a little crusty, uncover for the last 10 minutes.
Time management tip: as mentioned in the post there ARE a lot of steps in this recipe (it’s worth it, though!) but it is a big help to make the cornbread, and roast the pecans, the day before. That frees up the oven for other dishes while you do the stove-top portion of this recipe
Roasting pecans: they burn FAST, so stay close and keep an eye on them!
Pecans, sliced or whole? It’s all up to you! We like them whole and, honestly, it means there isn’t an extra step 🙂
Keywords: corn bread, stuffing, pecans, vegan stuffing, gluten free stuffing