We love soups. This one is a delicious, vegan, and gluten-free option that includes two often overlooked items: leeks and parsnips. This is a quick and easy vegan soup to make, as well. With Winter upon us, its a wonderful time to experiment with new soups and seasonally available roots.
We were inspired by a recipe on the Simple Veganista site that used leeks, yukon gold potatoes and white beans. The recipe appealed to us immediately and we adapted it to include what we had on hand. Our recipe adds the richness and color of sweet potatoes, and the sweetness and texture of parsnips. Plus, it’s a quick and easy soup to make. So, if you are looking for a big pot, hearty vegan soup that is an easy recipe to make, even after work, put this one on your list.
It exceeded our expectations, we know we will make it again and consider it a great recipe for family or, by doubling, for entertaining.
A loaf of crusty bread and/or a big salad would make a good complement.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cubed 1/2 inch
- 2 medium/large leeks, sliced and dirt removed
- 5-6 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water (water saute)
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 cups cooked or 2 cans (15 oz.) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil/water over medium-high.
- Add leeks and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in herbs and spices, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in potatoes, parsnips, broth and salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add beans and cook until warm through, about 5 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving.