On a cold day in February, the best thing to beat the winter blues is a steaming, satisfying, cup of chowder. However, if you happen to live somewhere without a winter season, then this Vegan Corn Chowder with Sweet Potatoes is still satisfying and delicious – but you will already be warm. 😉
Corn Chowder – Full of Beans Style
A chowder may not be your first thought when thinking of a healthy, or vegan, soup. It’s usually a full-on fattening, cholesterol-laden, cream-based, heavy soup. It’s one of those comfort food indulgences for a lot of people. However, in the Full of Beans kitchen, nothing is too challenging to make low-fat, nutrient-dense, and vegan. So, we made this Vegan Corn Chowder with Sweet Potatoes that is a flavor powerhouse with a nutrient-dense list of ingredients.
Vegan Corn Chowder with a Special Twist
I was initially inspired to make this sweet potato chowder because of the unfortunate dietary restrictions of my daughter, Elena. She is highly gluten intolerant, but also recently found out that she has a sensitivity to certain nightshade foods. For her that means cutting back on white potatoes, which in her opinion, it’s almost worse than the gluten. But, with recipes like our Nacho Cheese Sauce that typically use white potatoes, she has found great success with replacing them with sweet potatoes instead. They work just as well, and happen to be much more nutritious. Because of our deep New England love for chowder in our house, we are fans of the big chunks of white potato, but to help her out I decided to make a chowder recipe that revolved around this change to sweet potatoes.
A Wonderful, Big-pot Meal Anyone Can Make
The initial recipe came together with whatever happened to be on hand in the kitchen at the time. However, the family and I were so happy with the first round that after a few adjustments, this recipe was created. The list of tools you need for this recipe is short: a knife, a blender, and a big pot. Also, unless you’re planning on stirring the chowder with your hands, you’ll need a stirring utensil. With that equipment on hand, you’ll get a fast and satisfying meal that can provide you with a delicious meal and leftovers to spare.
This Vegan Corn Chowder with Sweet Potatoes that is a flavor powerhouse with a nutrient-dense list of ingredients.
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cup corn
- 2 cups chopped frozen spinach or kale
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in warm water for about one hour then drained
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste (I use about 2 tsp of salt and several grinds of pepper, but my broth is very low in sodium)
- Prepare cashews and set aside. (If you forgot, soak them in boiling water while you prepare the vegetables.)
- Place the onion and potatoes in the broth with the turmeric and bring to a boil, cooking until the potatoes are softened and easily pierced with a fork.
- Ladle out a cup of the broth and blend with the drained cashews until smooth.
- Pour the cashew mixture back into the pot and gently stir.
- Ladle out approximately half of the broth, onions and potatoes into a blender.
- Add the celery to the pot and allow about 5-8 minutes before adding the corn, greens and curry.
- While they heat through, blend the soup set aside in the blender earlier until uniformly blended and pour it back into the pot.
- Stir gently.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.