This Vegan Corn Chowder with Sweet Potatoes that is a flavor powerhouse with a nutrient-dense list of ingredients.
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cup corn
- 2 cups chopped frozen spinach or kale
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in warm water for about one hour then drained
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste (I use about 2 tsp of salt and several grinds of pepper, but my broth is very low in sodium)
- Prepare cashews and set aside. (If you forgot, soak them in boiling water while you prepare the vegetables.)
- Place the onion and potatoes in the broth with the turmeric and bring to a boil, cooking until the potatoes are softened and easily pierced with a fork.
- Ladle out a cup of the broth and blend with the drained cashews until smooth.
- Pour the cashew mixture back into the pot and gently stir.
- Ladle out approximately half of the broth, onions and potatoes into a blender.
- Add the celery to the pot and allow about 5-8 minutes before adding the corn, greens and curry.
- While they heat through, blend the soup set aside in the blender earlier until uniformly blended and pour it back into the pot.
- Stir gently.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.