Vegan gluten-free fritters! Did that get your attention? Fritters are a fave for lots of people, but they usually are made with dairy (eggs, milk, and cheese), white flour, and are fried in a pan of oil. Not exactly healthy clean eating, in our opinion, and a bit of an issue for the gluten-sensitive. So, today we’re sharing our recipe for vegan, gluten-free, oil-free zucchini fritters.
Let’s Make Some Healthy Gluten-free Fritters
Fritters are delicious, of course, and I tried a bunch of recipes. But, I wanted to create a healthy and easy version that would be low fat and gluten-free. Also, Greg and I have been more mindful of cutting back on oil in cooking, so this recipe is oil-free except for a little bit of spray oil on my griddle. Gluten-free is an issue because we have a family history of celiac disease and our daughter is highly sensitive to gluten.
Summertime is Zucchini time
Since we’re writing this in early August, it means zucchini is everywhere. When I was growing up, the joke was that people only locked their cars in summer to keep their neighbors from piling zucchini squashes on the front seat. We do keep the car locked, but I am quite grateful for any gifts my friends share from their gardens (after all, we love our zucchini lasagna during the season). Because we are happily overrun with zucchini, so it was a natural decision to include them in these vegan gluten-free fritters.
Making Them Gluten-free
Garbanzo flour came to my attention about 2 years ago when I saw it in recipes for scrambles and egg substitutes. In contrast to a lot of gluten-free flours that tend to be starchy, garbanzo flour has a nice texture and flavor, and is more nutritious. It may seem like an esoteric ingredient, but in reality it can be found in bulk at most co-ops (which is how we buy it) and the Bob’s Red Mill brand is commonly found at many supermarkets. It behaves very much like wheat flour and is perfect for these vegan gluten-free fritters.
Simple Ingredients, Big Taste
We love trying new foods with unique ingredients as much as anybody. But, most days we utilize readily available and commonly found ingredients, and that’s our general approach with most recipes on this blog. These vegan gluten-free fritters are made from humble ingredients that combine for a delicious sweetness with a little bit of crunch (and pair well with a little sriracha mayo, just saying). They make a great meal or snack that tastes good cold, is easily portable, and heats up to perfection in the toaster! We love them and we think you’ll love them too!
Just shred the zucchini by hand or use a food processor
Shred the veggies, mix up the batter, then combine
Sizzling away on our griddle – cook them until brown on both sides
- 1 1/2 cups garbanzo flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- a few grinds of black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green, or bell, pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- Prepare the vegetables and combine in a large bowl.
- Combine the garbanzo flour, salt and spices in a second bowl.
- Add the water to the dry ingredients and whisk together until well blended and there are no lumps.
- Pour the flour mixture into the vegetables and gently combine.
- Spoon approximately 1/2 cup onto a heated and lightly oiled griddle and cook until the edges start to look dry (3 minutes or so).
- Flip and cook until both sides are golden brown and center is firm to a light touch.
- Serve immediately or cool on a tea towel or paper towel.
- This recipe makes about 8-9 fitters.
- Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave, but reheating in the toaster or oven gives a better result.
- Any available vegetables that can be finely chopped or thawed will work with this recipe. Don’t be afraid to experiment with what is on hand. Same goes for what you like for herbs. This is practically a no fail recipe
- I have used a creamy salad dressing with these to dress it up a little. Just make a little puddle on the side for dipping!