A wonderful favorite for us at holiday-time. Always a delight cooked fresh Christmas morning!
- approximately 4 1/2 – 5 c organic all-purpose white (or bread) flour
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c warm water
- 3 tbs melted earth balance butter
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbs white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup earth balance or other vegan butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Dissolve dry yeast in the warm water with salt, sugar, and 1/4 cup of flour.
- Mix and let sit for about 15 minutes to proof (it will start to form bubbles).
- Add 2 cups flour and combine until it is manageable to knead on a floured surface. Working the dough, gradually add enough flour (approx 1 1/2-2 more cups) to form a soft dough that is not sticky. (If you have never done this before, it should feel a little like an ear lobe.)
- Let the dough rest in a bowl, on the counter, while you prepare the topping.
- Make the topping by putting sugar butter and water in a saucepan over moderate heat.
- When butter melts, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently; reduce heat slightly if syrup boils up too high.
- Pour into a 9×13 inch pan or 10 inch round cake pan or baking dish.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over syrup. It will begin to firm up.
- Roll the dough out to a 9×14 rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl. Add the sugar and cinnamon and combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the dough (I usually use a small brush).
- Starting from one long side, roll the dough up like a jellyroll, pinching to seal the outside edge.
- Cut into 12-16 slices and arrange evenly in the pan over the topping. Do not worry about spaces.
- Place the pan in a warm place and allow the dough to rise until doubled in volume (40-60 minutes).
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Bake about 30 minutes until buns are medium brown.
- Let stand 3-5 minutes*, then invert onto a platter or sheet of foil.
- * Don’t let them sit too long as the topping will start to harden as it cools!
- These freeze and reheat well.
Keywords: sweet, sticky buns, cinnamon, vegan dessert, vegan, holiday treat