This creamy vegan cauliflower au gratin with red potatoes is easy to put together and is a delicious option for a potluck or holiday side dish, for vegans or non-vegans alike.
1 medium cauliflower head, cut into small florets
1 lb red potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
4 Tbs plant-based butter, divided – we love Earth Balance
2 Tbs flour
1 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
3 slices Follow Your Heart smoked gouda, cut into small pieces (or a generous 1/2 cup plant-based cheese)
1/2 cup Follow Your Heart parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
2 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tsp salt, cauliflower, and potatoes and cook for 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Make a roux: Melt 2 Tbs butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk continuously and evenly over the bottom of the pan for 3-5 minutes. The roux should start to bubble and puff slightly.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, dragging the whisk on the bottom of the pan to ensure the roux is well combined with the milk. Simmer until it thickens (approximately 5 minutes), stirring gently and often.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the remaining tsp of salt, pepper, nutmeg, smoked gouda cheese, and 1/4 cup parmesan, stirring until well combined and cheese is melted.
- Transfer the cauliflower and potatoes to a greased casserole dish or 8×11 baking dish. Pour in the cheese sauce and gently combine with the vegetables until evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese over the top
- Melt the remaining 2 Tbs butter and combine with the Panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: cauliflower, vegan recipe, red potato, vegan au gratin