Delightfully Creamy Broccoli Soup (Dairy-Free!)
We love soups in our house. They are delicious, quick, and provide many hearty meals from one batch. Simple soups are ideal for families and busy lives, or a relaxed weekend afternoon. This Creamy Broccoli Soup is no exception – as a matter of fact, it is one of our favorites. Full of flavor and goodness, this creamy broccoli soup will delight, and is 100% dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan (of course!).
We make this all year-round. You can use fresh broccoli, or frozen. At the nearby big-box store we can find large bags of frozen organic florets which enables us to make this almost anytime. But it becomes something absolutely divine when made with the gorgeous, fresh-from-the-garden, broccoli we can get for a few weeks in the Summer at the farm stand down the street.
This recipe, like many on our site, is made a lot easier with a few important tools. For this one, a blender is important and we love our Vitamix. You can certainly make this recipe with any blender, so have no fear. But, if you are thinking about getting a super-duper blender, we use our Vitamix several times a day, every day, and have for several years. It just keeps going.
OK, Let’s Make Creamy Broccoli Soup!
Creamy, delicious, nutritious soup. Dairy-free and vegan!
- 6-8 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ground black pepper to taste
- Soak one cup of raw cashews in one cup of hot vegetable broth and set aside
- In a large saucepan heat 5 cups of vegetable broth
- Cut four medium potatoes into bite sized pieces (peeling is optional)
- Dice the onion
- Place the potato and onion into the broth
- add the salt, basil, garlic powder, and black pepper
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer
- Cook until tender
- Add the broccoli florets and cook until just tender.
- Grind the cashews and broth until smooth in a high-speed blender (our Vitamix makes this quick!) and pour into the soup
- Stir, and then ladle half of the soup back in the blender and purée until smooth.
- Pour the pureed soup into the rest of the soup, stir, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- That’s it!