This vegan chickpea sweet potato stew is a quick, low fat and nutrient dense meal that is a great go-to meal during the colder months. Here in New England, the colder months coincide with the big holidays. From Halloween through New Years Day, we run the gauntlet of treats and holiday fare and often can feel weighed down from indulging in foods that are richer than we otherwise would eat. I love to experiment with traditional family recipes, creating delicious vegan versions, but we are still talking about stuff like cookies and cakes and pies. This is not health food. (Just healthier.) On the other hand, we have this Chickpea Sweet Potato Stew to set everything back on track.
I find meals like this chickpea sweet potato stew are the perfect antidote. Having food available that is satisfying, as well as low fat and nutritious, helps keep us on track and feeling healthy. It reminds us how good it feels to take care of our bodies and to choose the holiday indulgences carefully. This recipe comes together quickly and is wonderful on rice (see photo below) or with crusty bread. The ingredients could easily be put together in a crockpot in the morning and be ready for the evening meal – so no excuses!
Chickpea Sweet Potato Stew is the Answer
I have known many people (and have been there, myself) who just sort of give up wellness during the holidays (or even most of the Winter) with the intention of renewed commitment to it in the new year. That approach leaves you feeling bloated and fatigued. Making a commitment to good eating, rest and exercise through the holidays, and after, isn’t always easy, but it is possible. Having healthy meals available is a huge help in meeting those goals. We love the holidays in our house and we love our traditional holiday meals and treats. We have found that keeping a balance with our food choices makes those wonderfully rich and celebratory meals all the more enjoyable.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups or 1 15 oz can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cilantro and simmer until potatoes are tender (approximately 30 minutes).
- Stir in cilantro, adding salt and pepper to taste, and additional broth to desired consistency.
- Serve over rice, couscous or alone with hearty bread.