This vegan chickpea sweet potato stew is a quick, low fat and nutrient dense meal that is a great go-to meal during the colder months.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups or 1 15 oz can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cilantro and simmer until potatoes are tender (approximately 30 minutes).
- Stir in cilantro, adding salt and pepper to taste, and additional broth to desired consistency.
- Serve over rice, couscous or alone with hearty bread.
Keywords: stew, vegan, sweet potato, low fat, vegan soup