Vegan Leek Soup
We were in the mood for a shopping adventure, rather than the predictable grocery store experience, so Greg and I went to a cooperative market in nearby New London, CT called Fiddleheads. (You can join us on this visit with this YouTube video) We were greeted with the sounds of live folk music, something we had not encountered there before, and made a note to plan more Saturday morning shopping trips there!
Delightful Co-op shopping
We were also delighted to find that several local vendors had set up shop in the middle of the coop. One of them was the owner of a Mediterranean market selling vegan, and non-vegan, fare and we were entertained with his expressiveness and joyful attitude. His place is on the list for the next road trip – stay tuned!
We strongly encourage supporting coops and farmers’ markets. Not only are you supporting small business and local farmers, but you also have a chance to be inspired by the colors and textures of whole foods.
Although we had a few certain staples on the list, we followed our usual approach; selecting good quality produce that caught our eyes, allowing it to inspire and challenge us. Some beautiful organic leeks called to me and I picked up some organic potatoes knowing a vegan leek soup was now in our future.
Making the Vegan Leek Soup with Potatoes
My go-to recipe for Vegan Leek Soup with Potatoes is from naturopathicbynature.com. I knew this was the perfect way to enjoy those leeks from the market (bonus: it’s also gluten free and low fat). Its common for me to adapt recipes based on what I have on hand. So, this time, I mostly followed the recipe, except I didn’t peel the potatoes, I threw in 2 extra carrots for a little sweetness, and I doubled the amount of dill because I like the flavor. :-).
Cooking tip: when a recipe calls for veggie stock I use Vogue Cuisine’s Vegebase and mix about 1 tsp to each cup of water.
The following is my adaptation of a great recipe.
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 8 red bliss potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into 1" cubes
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, well rinced and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups of water with 6 tsp Vogue Vegebase
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 generous tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp sea salt
- several generous grinds of black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add leeks and potatoes and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots, herbs, salt and pepper and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add water and vegebase, bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer until carrots and potatoes are tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend to desired level of smoothness. (I like it smooth with visible flecks of carrots)
- Adjust seasonings and salt to taste.
- This soup freezes well.