Vegan Gluten-Free Lasagna (Lasagne)
This recipe for vegan gluten-free Lasagna, (or is it “lasagne”? I mean, really, we need to settle this) utilizing slices of zucchini in place of pasta, was created in the heat of summer when my son would bring home bushel baskets of zucchini. It became a household favorite, offering a healthier and lighter alternative to pasta and it is a meal we enjoy hot or cold.
Vegan Gluten-Free Lasagna: Nutritious and Delicious
I use commercially prepared pasta sauce most often because of convenience. If you don’t make your own, be sure to check the ingredients to make sure you are not eating things you don’t want, like high-fructose corn syrup or too much sugar or sodium.
I also use a 1lb bag of frozen chopped spinach, thawed. Baby spinach would be a wonderful choice, but in my house that is readily consumed in salads and smoothies. I keep frozen spinach (and broccoli) on hand all the time, so I’m always confident it will be there.
- * 4-5 medium zucchini squash
- * 5 cups of pasta sauce
- * 1 lb frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- * 1 cup vegan mozzarella style shredded cheese (optional, or to taste)
- * 2 tbs oregano, divided
- * 1 recipe vegan ricotta (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine ricotta, spinach and 1 tbs oregano.
- Slice zucchini into vertical slices, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover bottom of 9x13 with 1 1/4 cup of sauce.
- Layer slices of zucchini on top of sauce.
- Cover with half of the ricotta sauce.
- Top with a layer of sauce, then zucchini and final layer of sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella style cheese and 1 tbs of oregano.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- For a more traditional lasagna that is still vegan, simply substitute dry lasagna noodles for the zucchini and be sure to add the liquid with the thawed spinach. (if you use brown rice pasta - like Tinkyada brand - it is still gluten free). Remember to cover while baking and uncover to cool. This was my original recipe and I modified it to use up the zucchini. I have served it for years to non vegans and it is always a hit. The fact that you don't have to cook the noodles first makes it quick to put together.
- Fat Content: if you are concerned about the fat content because of the cashews, feel free to use less. I often will use 1 1/2 cups of cashews and/or omit the vegan mozzarella. It's a flexible recipe and you can adjust it freely to suit your tastes. The full recipe is an attempt to make an equivalent experience to a cheesy traditional lasagne and the full recipe has just over 11g fat per serving (1/12 of the recipe).
Assembling the Vegan Gluten-Free Lasagna: Zucchini Layers
Delicious Vegan Gluten-Free Lasagna Ready to Eat!
- * 2 cups raw cashews, (or see Notes below) soaked in water for 2 hours and drained
- * 1/2 cup water
- * 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- * 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- * 1-2 cloves of garlic
- * dash of onion powder
- * 1 tsp sea salt
- * few grinds of black pepper
- combine in high speed blender (we use a Vitamix) until smooth.
Watch Georgia put this meal together on this video from our YouTube channel:
Georgia is an unpretentious foodie who, at 50, transitioned from a vegetarian diet to a whole foods plant based diet and is loving it. She works as a nurse, plays as a quilter, loves to run, hates to race. She thinks dogs are actually angels (in dog suits).
- Sweet Potatoes at the Ready - […] cashew cream sauce is my same recipe for cashew ricotta. It is an incredibly versatile sauce that subs nicely…
- Easy Plant-based Swaps for the Vegcurious — CHARMECHARME - […] Lasagne […]
- Vegan Lasagna | Vegan Recipes & Vegan Dinner Ideas - […] Get the Recipe: http://www.fullofbeans.us/vegan-gluten-free-lasagne/ […]
- Vegan Gluten Free Lasagna | Elven Fitness - […] Recipe Source: Click Here […]
- Gluten Free Vegan Lasagne - VeganBlog.orgVeganBlog.org - […] Gluten Free Vegan Lasagne […]
- Weekend Bliss | mindfulsavage - […] A recipe I’ve made recently that is definitely brag-worthy: VG and GF Zucchini Lasagna with the most delicious cashew cream…
- Orthodox Menu Plan for November - The Enduring Home - […] wo – Vegan Lasagna* […]
- Top 100 Clean Eating Recipes - […] Vegan Gluten Free Lasagne (Vegan & Gluten Free) […]
- Orthodox Menu Plan December 2015 The Enduring Home - […] wo – Vegan Lasagna* (this was on last month’s menu, but I didn’t get to make it – it looks so…
- 12 Gluten Free Easy Dinner Recipes (DELICIOUS) - […] Vegan Gluten Free Lasagne – “This recipe for vegan gluten free Lasagne, utilizing slices of zucchini in place of…
- You have time for all of these!!! – lipstick holistic - […] Vegan Gluten Free Lasagna– You could just make “regular” lasagna if you eat meat, dairy, and wheat. […]
- Free Orthodox Menu Plan Lenten Meal Planning Made Simple! - The Enduring Home - […] fast – Vegan, Gluten Free Lasagne w/Fresh Fruit (this is probably the most time consuming of any recipe this month…but good…