This recipe for vegan gluten-free Lasagna, utilizing slices of zucchini in place of pasta, is a household favorite, offering a healthier and lighter alternative to pasta and it is a meal we enjoy hot or cold. It’s also a fabulous way to use zucchini if you happen to have a garden and are overwhelmed with how productive those wonderful plants are! 🙂
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine ricotta, spinach, 1 tbs oregano, and 1 cup of the shreds.
- Slice zucchini into vertical slices, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover bottom of 9×13 with 1 1/4 cup of sauce.
- Layer slices of zucchini on top of the sauce.
- Cover with half of the ricotta sauce.
- Top with a layer of sauce, then zucchini, and a final layer of sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella-style cheese and 1 tbs of oregano.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- For a more traditional lasagna that is still vegan, simply substitute dry lasagna noodles for the zucchini, and be sure to add the liquid with the thawed spinach. (if you use brown rice pasta – like Tinkyada brand – it is still gluten-free). Remember to cover while baking and uncover to cool. This was my original recipe and I modified it to use up the zucchini. I have served it for years to non-vegans and it is always a hit. The fact that you don’t have to cook the noodles first makes it quick to put together.
- Fat Content: if you are concerned about the fat content because of the cashews, feel free to use less. I often will use 1 1/2 cups of cashews and/or omit the vegan mozzarella. It’s a flexible recipe and you can adjust it freely to suit your tastes. The full recipe is an attempt to make an equivalent experience to a cheesy traditional lasagne and the full recipe has just over 11g fat per serving (1/12 of the recipe).
- The recipe for the cashew cream “ricotta” is here: https://www.fullofbeans.us/vegan-ricotta-cheese-cashew-cream/
Keywords: lasagna, vegan lasagna, gluten-free lasagna, dairy-free, dairy-free lasagna, gluten-free vegan lasagna