Despite the fact that it’s the beginning of March (and we here in the Northeast keep getting stretches of 60 degree weather), it still feels a bit like winter. And other than a nice hot cup of tea, the best thing to cure the winter blues (or a winter cold) is a cup of vegan Carrot Ginger soup.
Carrot and Ginger is Colorful and Good For You
Our carrot soup is not only comforting, but it’s also easy to digest. The kick of ginger in our recipe is a natural remedy for an upset stomach, nausea, muscle soreness, and more! It’s the perfect recipe for when you are feeling a little under the weather, or even a little “over” the weather!
Plus, this carrot soup is so much more fun than normal soups because of it’s color. The bright orange is a sure way to brighten up your day. How can you be depressed by how gross the weather is when you open your lunch bag up to a cheering and pleasant color? We can all get in a little rut of green, white, and brown food (and variety is the spice of life!).
Carrot Ginger Soup, Anytime!
Speaking of lunch, soup is a great alternative to sandwiches for your second meal of the day. (Or your third or fourth meal of the day – we don’t judge here at Full of Beans). Particularly for a lighter meal, or even the first course of a sit-down dinner, this light carrot soup will sit well in your stomach and on your tastebuds. And for anyone who needs a good “on-the-go” meal, this extremely portable soup doesn’t need to be refrigerated or reheated. It tastes great whether it’s cold, room temperature, or steaming hot. It really is a soup for anytime.
Comforting and Delicious Carrot Ginger Soup
This carrot ginger soup is going to make you feel great, no matter the temperature outside or what time of day you are chowing down on it. It’s natural sweetness with gingery heat makes a flavor combination that is sure to satisfy, and pairs well with either a slice of hearty whole grain bread or a crusty baguette to scrape the bowl clean. Our recipe uses common ingredients which makes this carrot ginger soup very simple to make, so its great for a quick meal for yourself or to serve the whole family. And to top it all off, it’s low in fat and nutrient dense so you can feel good about putting it into your body!
Try This Delicious Soup Today
Carrot Ginger Soup is a treat that you might already have all the ingredients for in your fridge. We bet that you will love it, too! If you try it, please let us know what you think – we love to hear from you. Come back to this post and leave a comment, or share your photo on Instagram and tag us in it (@fullofbeanslife)!
Enjoy your soup!
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 5 large organic carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste (i use several good grinds)
- Soak cashews in enough hot water to cover well and set aside.
- Combine all other ingredients in a soup pot and bring to boil, cooking until carrots are very tender.
- Drain cashews. Ladle out of pot about 1 cup of broth and blend with cashews in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- Return cashew mixture to pot and stir well.
- Blend the entire soup until smooth with an immersion blender or, in batches, in the high speed blender.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Add water if thicker than desired consistency.
- The recipe calls for raw cashews, but I have use roasted cashews in a pinch without any problem as long as I used a good high speed blender. I use a Vitamix.
- This soup is also good at room temperature or cold, making it a nice portable meal! 🙂