This vegan spinach and broccoli quiche is a delicious and healthy alternative to the traditional quiche made with eggs, dairy cream and dairy cheese.
1 block (14 oz) extra firm tofu, crumbled into large chunks
2 rounded tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons kala-namak (black salt)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 rounded teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Tbs olive oil or water
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup broccoli flowerets, lightly chopped (frozen works too, but will be softer)
1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (optional)
1 cup vegan cheese shreds (at the moment, Follow Your Heart and Violife are our favorite brands)
1 pie crust, uncooked
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place pie crust in pie dish and set aside. (link for crust here)
- Combine tofu, nutritional yeast, black salt and turmeric in food processor and blend, stopping to scrape down edges as needed. Add a few tablespoons of water if needed to blend smoothly. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil or water and add onions, stirring gently and cook until lightly translucent. Add garlic and mushrooms, if using, and saute until mushrooms are cooked enough to have liquid mostly cooked off.
- Add spinach and broccoli and cook just until heated through. Remove pan from stove.
- Add the tofu blend, oregano, pepper flakes and cheese shreds to pan and gently fold together until evenly blended.
- Transfer the mixture into the pie crust and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with additional shreds or a scant amount of pepper flakes if desired.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before slicing.
Easy crust recipe (traditional and gluten-free versions) is on our Pumpkin Pie post: https://www.fullofbeans.us/pumpkin-pie-time/