A hearty soup inspired by classic “Fisherman’s Wives” soups. Filled with satisfying and nutritious ingredients.
1 Tbs olive oil
3–4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
1 large onion, diced
1 package of Field Roast Italian sausage, peeled from wrapper and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
4–5 medium to large potatoes, scrubbed and diced
vegetable broth, enough to cover potatoes by about 1 inch (approx 5-6 cups)
1 bay leaf
1 can or 1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini (Italian white) beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch kale, remove from stems and chop
1 tsp salt, more to taste
grinds of black pepper
vegan parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Warm a large dutch oven or soup pot on the stove.
- Add oil and spread around pot.
- Add onion and cook, gently stirring for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sausage. Continue to stir gently, until the sausage starts to crisp a little. If stuff starts to stick, splash a little water into the pan and gently scrape the bottom.
- Remove the onion, garlic and sausage from the pan and set aside. Without cleaning the pan (this is important for flavor), add the potatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper and vegetable broth to cover potatoes by about 1 inch and cook on medium heat until potatoes are just tender when pricked with a fork. Once the broth is boiling, it should take about 15 minutes, give or take depending on type and size of dice.
- Add the drained beans, kale and sausage mixture, stirring gently to evenly combine.
- Cook until kale is softened.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese if desired. (we love Follow Your Heart brand)
Prep note: A ‘bunch” of kale is a relative thing. I like a lot of kale, so I use a big bunch. Adjust according to preference.