This Vegan Penne with Sausage, Eggplant, and Tomato comes together quickly. It is a flavorful and satisfying dish to feed a family or share at a potluck and perfect for those hungry family short on time dinnertimes.
- 1.5 lbs plant-based sweet Italian-style sausage (we used Field Roast Italian Garlic & Fennel – don’t forget to remove the casing!)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped, divided in 1/2
- 1/4 cup Cashew Cream or plant-based creamer
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot red pepper flakes—about 1/4 tsp or to taste
- 1 large eggplant with skin on, cut into approximately 1″ cubes
- 2 small onions, cut into quarters, and then thin slices
- Olive oil
- 1 lb penne
- preheat your oven to 450°
- prep all ingredients
- Combine eggplant, onion, some salt and pepper, and a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl
- lightly oil a large-rimmed baking pan, or a sheet pan, and spread the eggplant mixture evenly on it
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden (you may opt for a short time under the broiler at the end).
- lightly oil a large frying pan and sauté the sausage until browned, stirring frequently because it will have a tendency to stick
- next, add the crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup parsley to the sausage, and sauté for an additional 10 minutes
- Add the cashew cream/plant-based creamer and the roasted vegetables. Simmer for about five minutes
- At the same time, cook your penne. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water when finished
- Add the penne to the sauce in the pan, salt and pepper if needed, and hot pepper flakes
- stir in the rest of the parsley and, if the sauce is too thick, some of the cooking water. Hint: the sauce should be pleasantly thick
You can find the Field Roast line of sausages in most large markets. We think the Garlic and Fennel work the best, but you can experiment with other flavors, and brands, according to availability and your taste.
Keywords: vegan sausage, penne, vegan pasta recipe, vegan eggplant recipe, eggplant