This Vegan Onion Soup recipe produces a delicious, healthy, comforting, soup with a rich broth. Yum! Dairy-free and low-fat, we know you’ll love it!
4–5 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 Tbs vegan butter or oil (optional)
pinch of salt
2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp celery seeds
6–7 grinds of black pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup tamari (I use low sodium)
1/4 cup white wine
Toasted french bread slices, or croutons, and vegan cheese (optional)
1. Melt butter or heat oil or water in a soup pot on medium heat with enough bottom surface area to be able to move the onions around in a fairly thin layer.
2. Add the onions and stir to coat.
3. Sprinkle with pinch of salt.
4. Stir the onions frequently and gently, maintaining a medium heat.
5. Add the mustard and celery seeds and black pepper and continue to stir.
6. And stir.
7. When the onions are a golden to caramel color, add the broth, tamari and wine and bring to a gentle boil.
8. Adjust salt and pepper to taste with care, as tamari can be high in sodium.
9. Remove from heat and serve into bowls, placing toasted bread and a generous sprinkle of cheese on top, if desired.
Yield: 2 main course or 4 appetizer servings.
There are lots of vegan cheeses available, and more appear all the time. Follow Your Heart* brand has been reliable and generally easy to find. We love their shreds, and their Parmesan Style works particularly well with this recipe.
*no affiliation – we just like to support brands we like.