This easy and fast recipe for Vegan Instant Pot Teriyaki Seitan is an affordable and delicious way to bring Teriyaki back to the vegan table. We use it in stir frys, sandwiches and skewered to dip into peanut sauce. It is also perfect for adding an Asian flair to shish kabob on the grill!
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1Tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder (or fresh grated ginger)
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup low sodium tamari
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbs rice vinegar
- 2 Tbs agave or maple syrup
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Separately, whisk the remaining ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and combine with a spatula (a whisk will not work, trust me) until well combined.
- Pick it up and work it with your hands or knead it on a surface until it starts to feel smooth and elastic. I prefer just working in my hands. This takes about 2 minutes.
- On a cutting board, cut it into small pieces. I usually divide it into four pieces and then cut them further. The seitan will expand in the Instant Pot, so consider that when choosing the size you are aiming for.
- Place the pieces into the Instant Pot. It is okay if they are touching or overlapping a little.
- Pour 1 cup of water over the pieces of seitan.
- Cook on high pressure for 16 minutes and then release the pressure.
- Remove the seitan from the pot with a spoon or spatula, gently separating the pieces.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for 1 week.
Keywords: instant pot seitan, instant pot, vegan, seitan