- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 4+ cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 Tbs hot red chili sauce (I use Sriracha), add more to taste
- 1 lb. spinach rinsed and chopped (I use frozen chopped leaf spinach)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp curry
- 1 13.5 oz can light coconut milk
- Cooked rice
- Rinse split peas and place in a large sauce pan or pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about five minutes, turn the heat off and let them soak for 2-3 hours. (If you don’t have the time for that, you can substitute red lentils, which require much less cooking time.)
- Add about a cup of water and bring it back to a boil, adding salt, turmeric and the chili sauce.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir frequently until the peas are tender (~20 minutes or so). If it starts getting to thick, add a little more water to keep it moving easily in the pot.
- While the peas are cooking, warm the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat and add the chopped onion, mustard seeds and cumin, stirring often. Cook until onions are transparent. Add to the pot once the peas are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk, garam masala, and curry. When well blended add the spinach and cook until heated through.
- Serve over cooked rice.
- Serving Size: 6