There is nothing like a warm stew or chowder to restore a sense of warmth and comfort. This vegan corn chowder with quinoa more than fills the bill!
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 rounded teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen organic corn
- 2 medium to large potatoes, died
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups plant based milk
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp dried cilantro or 3 Tbs fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp ground cumin (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stirring constantly, toast quinoa and cumin seeds in a soup pot over medium to high heat, 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl and set aside
- Heat oil in pot.
- Add corn, potatoes and onion and cook stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Add milk and broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa, peppers and cilantro (if dried), reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cumin if desired and turn off the heat.
- Stir in cilantro (if fresh) and serve with additional cilantro for garnish as desired.