Yummy, hearty big pot stew that will hit all your comfort food button – completely meat-free!
- two packages Gardein Sizzling Szechuan Beefless Strips, with sauce packets.
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 6 to 7 carrots, peeled and thick sliced
- 1/4 cup dried toasted onion flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 pound frozen green beans
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- preheat oven to 350°F
- Remove and thaw sauce packets from strips
- place potatoes in the bottom of a Dutch oven, or stewpot, and sprinkle onion flakes over them
- Layer the carrot slices over the potatoes, followed by the strips, breaking larger ones in half if desired. Finally the green beans.
- whisk together 1 cup water with the flour, cornstarch, ketchup, both sauce packets, salt and pepper
- pour the mixture over the layers.
- add enough water to almost cover the stew
- Cover and place in oven for one hour.
- We use a large Dutch oven to make dishes like this. Like a stew pot, it is made from cast iron and makes a difference in how the food cooks. These pots are made to be used in an oven. We have had feedback that using a steel (or aluminum) sauce-pan requires a different approach so you may have to simply cook on the stove-top.