A classic apple pie, offering all the sweet and spice that you crave when you think of apple pie.
- pie crust for a 2 crust pie
- 8 apples, cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs flour, plus a little to dust the bottom crust
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place rack in the center of the oven.
- Prepare the pie crust. Roll out the bottom crust and place it in a 9 or 10-inch pie plate with crust overlapping the edges. Dust the bottom with a little flour. Place in the fridge while preparing the filling.
- Toss the apple slices with the lemon and zest in a large bowl. This will keep them from browning once prepared.
- In a separate bowl combine the sugar, flour, spices, salt and cornstarch. Add to the apples and toss until well and evenly coated.
- Fill the prepared bottom crust with the apples, distributing evenly and dot with the vegan butter. Don’t be alarmed if the pile is high. It will reduce a bit as it cooks. Pour any liquid and spices on top if there is some remaining in the bottom of the bowl.
- Roll out the top crust. Before placing it on the top, use a pastry brush to wet the edges of the bottom crust where they will meet on the pie plate rim.
- Place the top crust on the pie. With a knife, cut around the perimeter of the pie plate and crimp the crusts together with the tines of a fork.
- Cut 4 or 5 air vents (about 1 inch each) in the top crust to release the steam as the pie cooks.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Without opening the oven door, reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 40 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
We suggest our Foolproof Vegan Pie Crust recipe: https://www.fullofbeans.us/flaky-and-foolproof-vegan-pie-crust/
Keywords: pie, dairy-free, apple pie, dessert