This easy vegan red onion jam is a delightful and versatile condiment that can take a sandwich from ordinary to extraordinary.
It also can be an unexpected player alongside roasted vegetables, in grilled cheese sandwiches, or on a charcuterie board.
Let’s celebrate red onions with this delicious Red Onion Jam!
- 2 Tbs neutral oil
- 2 pounds organic red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine (I like a shiraz)
- 1/3 cup organic white sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a deep skillet or large saucepan over medium heat.
- When shimmering, add onions and cook until softened, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add in the wine, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Stir well to combine and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Let it simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally. The liquid will thicken in the pan a little but will become much thicker once the jam has cooled.
- Transfer to an airtight container or mason jar and refrigerate.
The yield is approximately 2 cups. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 3-4 weeks.
This Red Onion Jam pairs beautifully with roasted veggies, on top of baked potatoes, in grilled cheese sandwiches, or on crackers with herb cheese. We suggest our delcious dairy-free Soft Herb Cheese: www.fullofbeans.us/vegan-soft-dairy-free-herb-cheese-charcuterie-board/
Keywords: red onion, onion jam, condiment