This oil-free, vegan, broccoli and lentil salad, seasoned with maple syrup and mustard, is as delicious as it is healthy. With the nutrient and fiber density of broccoli, lentils, and red onions, it is an excellent and satisfying main course or substantial side dish. This is an excellent offering for a buffet or a casual gathering and makes a great portable lunch.
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown or French lentils
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (approximately 4 cups)
- 1 small red onion, halved and finely sliced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours (or one hour if you start with boiling water)
- 2 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs real maple syrup
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (I use Grey Poupon always)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4–5 grinds of black pepper
- To make the dressing, drain the cashews, and then blend all the ingredients in a blender until well mixed and creamy. Set aside.
- Steam the broccoli florets with a steamer or cook in a shallow pan of water until just tender and bright green. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain off any liquid from the broccoli and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the lentils and red onion.
- Add dressing and toss to coat.
- Garnish with almonds.
- Serve as is or on a bed of salad greens.
Keywords: broccoli, oil-free, red onion, salad, lentil, high-protein