The no-compromises delicious, rich taste of basil pesto without the dairy.
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (or a combination of available nuts)
- 2 cups firmly packed basil leaves (if you’re a little short, some fresh parsley can be added to get the right quantity)
- 1/4–1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice, optional
- Place the nuts, the whole garlic cloves, and the nutritional yeast in the food processor and let it run until the cloves are crushed. I am always looking for ways to use less time and utensils, so this works for me.
- Add the basil and salt, and run it briefly
- Then add the oil. My processor has a hole in the top and I pour it in in a stream. You may need to scrape down the sides a few times.
- Run until completely blended. It should yield about 1 and 1/2 cups.