This Instant Pot vegan Turk’y style seitan is an easy way to satisfy the mouthfeel and taste of turkey.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 1/4 cup low sodium tamari
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Separately, combine the tamari and water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and combine with a spatula (a whisk will not work, trust me) until well combined.
- add a little bit of water if all the dry doesn’t easily combine
- Pick it up and work it with your hands or knead it on a surface until it starts to feel smooth and elastic. I prefer just working in my hands. This takes about 2 minutes*.
- On a cutting board, cut it into small pieces. I usually divide it into four pieces and then cut them further. The seitan will expand in the Instant Pot, so consider that when choosing the size you are aiming for.
- Place the pieces into the Instant Pot. It is okay if they are touching or overlapping a little.
- Pour 1 cup of water over the pieces of seitan.
- Cook on high pressure for 16 minutes and then release the pressure.
- Remove the seitan from the pot with a spoon or a spatula, gently separating the pieces.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for 1 week.
* don’t overdo the kneading. It’s perfectly fine if the seitan has holes/bubbles or doesn’t look like a perfect loaf. All you’re doing here is working it all together until it is elastic (it really won’t take long). Overworking it can make the seitan tougher and firmer, once cooked.