This low fat, flavorful vegan gravy is a great compliment for savory dishes and potatoes. It checks all the boxes for the comfort food quality of gravy, but it has almost no fat (just from the plant milk) and is cruelty-free.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 Tbs low sodium Tamari
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbs cornstarch, dissolved in 3 Tbs water
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp salt (omit if broth is high in sodium)
- few grinds of black pepper
- Combine the broth, tamari, and thyme in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and whisk in the cornstarch mixture and keep on a low boil, whisking until the gravy thickens. This takes about one minute.
- Whisk in the plant based milk and reduce the heat to low so that it doesn’t boil.
Recipe adapted from The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook by Robin Robertson
Keywords: gravy, low fat, vegan gravy, sauce