This light, fragrant lime and cashew vegan rice pilaf is a lovely side dish, inspired by the flavors of India. The lime, turmeric, cilantro, and jalapeño pepper are as surprising as they are delicious, and the cashews and mustard seeds give the dish a satisfying texture.
- 1 cup white Basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 Tbs neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2–3 Tbs coarsely chopped cashews
- 3 Tbs lime juice
- 3 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp numeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Put the rice in a medium saucepan with enough water to generously cover. Swish it around with a spoon or your fingers until the water becomes cloudy. Drain. Repeat this a few times until the water remains clear. After the last draining, cover the rice with the 1 1/2 cups cold water and let it sit and soak for about 30 minutes.
- Bring the rice and water to a boil over medium heat and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally for about 5-6 minutes. Most of the liquid will have evaporated from the surface. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover, and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove it from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, cover the skillet until the popping stops. Reduce the heat and add the cashews, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the lime juice, jalapeño pepper, cilantro, turmeric, and salt.
- Add the skillet ingredients to the rice and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: basmati rice, vegan, vegan rice pilaf, rice pilaf