These vegan baked beans take me back to Saturday nights when I was a kid. The kitchen would smell so good! Now your’s can, too, but vegan!
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbs prepared mustard (I use stone ground brown)
- 2 tsp salt
- several grinds of black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
The night before
- In a large pot, bring beans and 2 quarts of water to boil, uncovered. Allow to boil for about 2 minutes, turn off the heat, cover and soak overnight.
The next day
- Drain and rinse the beans briefly. Put all the remaining ingredients in an oven proof pot or dutch oven.
- Add enough water to cover the beans, and gently stir to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven, covered, for 4-6 hours, adding a little water occasionally if necessary. If the beans are too wet, leave them uncovered for the last 30-45 minutes.
- I recently bought a pressure cooker (https://www.instantpot.com) and cooked them from step 2 in one hour.
- I have also thrown in 2 cups of cooked kidney beans at the end to extend the quantity when the need for more came up unexpectedly. Feel free to experiment if you want to use what is on hand. This is a very forgiving recipe!
Keywords: beans, low-fat, baked beans, vegan, vegan baked beans