Vegan baking presented a challenge, at first.
I have been making cinnamon sticky buns every Christmas morning for as long as I can remember. When we transitioned to a fully vegan diet, it required some tweaking, but there was no loss of taste. Believe me, they disappear just as quickly as ever. This recipe for vegan cinnamon sticky buns is actually quite simple. For the dough, you can start with a basic 1 lb loaf of bread dough, commercially prepared or even a bag of plain, uncooked pizza dough in a pinch.
However, I make my bread from scratch because I’ve made bread for years and find it to be easier to make organic bread than find it as dough. For those who want to make the bread from scratch, use your own basic white/French bread recipe or the one included in the full recipe below.
I like these fresh and hot on Christmas morning and I never want to be fussing in the kitchen when there are presents to open and coffee to enjoy. I make them a day ahead and freeze them as soon as they are assembled, covered tightly with foil. Before going to bed, I set them out on the counter. They will thaw and rise over night. In the morning, I take off the foil and pop them in the heated oven.
These are foolproof and the sweet, sticky result will not disappoint. Give them a try next time you want to make a treat for family or just want to say a special “Good Morning” to the people you love.
We would love to hear how they work out for you, so please leave us a comment!
- approximately 4 1/2 - 5 c organic all purpose white (or bread) flour
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 c warm water
- Dissolve dry yeast in the warm water with the sugar and 1/4 cup of flour. Mix and let sit for about 15 minutes to proof (it will start to form bubbles).
- Add 2 cups flour and combine until it is manageable to kneed on a floured surface. Working the dough, gradually add enough flour (approx 1 1/2-2 more cups) to form a soft dough that is not sticky. If you have never done this before, it should feel a little like an ear lobe.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup earth balance or other vegan butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 3 tbs melted earth balance butter
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbs white sugar
- Make topping by putting sugar butter and water in a sauce pam over moderate heat.
- When butter melts, bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes, stirring frequently; reduce heat slightly if syrup boils up to high.
- Pour into a 9x13 inch pan or 10 inch round cake pan or baking dish.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over syrup. It will begin to firm up.
- Roll the dough out to a 9x14 rectangle on lightly floured surface.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon and butter and spread it evenly over the dough.
- Starting from one long side, roll the dough up like a jellyroll, pinching to seal the outside edge.
- Cut into 12-16 slices and arrange evenly over topping. Do not worry about spaces.
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume (40-60 minutes).
- Bake about 30 minutes until buns are medium brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then invert onto a platter or foil.
- These freeze and reheat well.