I discovered this recipe years ago and one of the things I like the most about it is that it’s so easy. It’s a vegan chocolate cake recipe you can make in one bowl in five minutes and totally satisfies any craving you have for a good rich chocolate cake.
This originates from the Moosewood Cookbook and we have enjoyed it for many, many years. So, while this isn’t an original recipe of ours, it is so good that it would be a shame not to continue sharing it and to continue its popularity. It works well for cakes and cupcakes. Our favorite is mini bundt cakes with powdered sugar on top.
We bet that you will feel exactly the same after the first time you try it.
Mini cakes cooling on the rack and dusted with sugar! Mmmmm
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water, or chilled coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Use an 8" square, or round cake pan
- Oil the pan, or place parchment on the bottom
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa, soda, salt, and sugar
- Add the oil, water (or coffee), and vanilla
- Blend well
- Add vinegar and stir briefly (the baking soda will react with the vinegar and leave pale swirls in the batter)
- Without wasting time pour the batter into the prepared pan
- Bake 25-30 minutes