Hummus is wonderful, right? But the store version is a little high in fat and salt, plus it’s a little pricey. Doesn’t have to be that way when you make it yourself. It’s not hard at all – this is a simple tasty base recipe that produces a perfect easy hummus for the best hummus ever! What you do next is up to you!
This is our version of an excellent recipe at Inspired Taste. Our easy hummus is doubled in quantity and we add a good bit more cumin, a little more lemon and garlic so it is a spicier batch. It has the bang of cumin and the tang of lemon juice. Adjust for your taste!
One of our favorite ways to enjoy hummus: tabboleh, hummus, and tomatoes in a lettuce leaf wrap.
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 3 cups chickpeas prepared from dry)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste (you might need more if using chick peas from dry, rather than canned)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Place the tahini and lemon juice in the food processor.
- Process for 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom, then process for 30 seconds. This helps to whip the tahini and makes a difference in the texture.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and the salt.
- Process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom and process another 30 seconds.
- Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute.
- Add remaining chickpeas and process for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and quite smooth.
- If the hummus is too thick, or not smooth enough, slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water, while the food processor is running, until the consistency is perfect.
- This amount of salt is on the low end, adjust it as you get to the end. Remember, you can't take any out!
- If you make the chickpeas from dry, you may need a little extra water to make it really smooth.
- If you like the tang of lemon, try adding some more. Hummus is flexible 🙂
- Replacing the raw garlic with an entire bulb of roasted garlic is a special treat
- Try adding some avocado (you could use a little less oil to balance) for color and a slightly different texture
Easy Hummus Recipe on Our Youtube Channel
Watch Greg demonstrate the entire process of making this easy hummus on the video below from our YouTube channel (where you can find many more):